Lesson 660: James 3
"What Body Part Defiles the Whole Body?"
^Click the Start arrow on the player above to listen to this Bible Study
JAMES CHAPTER 3
1 My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation. 2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body. 3 Behold, we put bits in the horses’ mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body. 4 Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth. 5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! 6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell. 7 For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind: 8 but the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. 9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. 10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be. 11 Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? 12 Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh. Wisdom from heaven 13 Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. 14 But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. 15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. 16 For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. 17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. 18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.
Lesson No. 660 What Body Part Defiles the Whole Body?
Book of James, Chapter 3 03/5/2023
1) Is James in verse 1 discouraging people from wanting to be leaders?
2) What does verse 2 remind you of? (Hint: you can please some of the...)
3) How true are verses 4 through 6? This even happens unintentionally!
4) James 7 and 8 says we can tame anything but the tongue, why is that?
5) Verses 9 and 10 talk about us using our tongue to bless God and curse man, and vice versa. So why is this disconcerting?
6) The examples that James gives us in verses 11 and 12 make sense, but do they really apply to us? Is he trying to set a standard to keep?
7) James then shifts gears and gives us a reasonable approach for Christian living- verse 13 says if you are wise and have knowledge, we can show 'what' out of good conversation? Another example of works by faith!
8) Conversely, if our speech is rude or coarse, what does that say about our hearts? (Hint- verse 14)
9) James is saying that, if we speak that way, where does that 'wisdom' come from? (Hint- verse 15) What does this earthly wisdom cause? (Hint- verse 16)
10) Verse 17 tells us what a 'tamed tongue' can do for us, what is it? The best thing about a tamed tongue is that we can better represent Christ by showing good fruit, bringing truth, peace, and avoiding hypocrisy which is what non-believers notice first about us when we act and speak ‘worldly’.
11) The final thought on a tamed tongue is given in verse 18; James talks about the 'fruit of righteousness' sown in peace...in who? Interesting that the Christian with a tamed tongue is the one benefiting the most from having discipline and living a godly life!
Recent PostsSee All
"The Effectual Fervent Prayer of a Righteous Man...." ^Click the Start arrow on the player above to listen to this Bible Study JAMES CHAPTER 5 1 Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries
"Am I an ENEMY of God?" ^Click the Start arrow on the player above to listen to this Bible Study JAMES CHAPTER 4 1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lust
"Faith Without Works is......." ^Click the Start arrow on the player above to listen to this Bible Study JAMES CHAPTER 2 1 My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory,