Lesson 658: JAMES CHAPTER 1
“Be Ye Doers of the Word”
^Click the Start arrow on the player above to listen to this Bible Study
JAMES CHAPTER 1
1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting. Enduring trials and temptations 2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; 3 knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. 4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. 5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. 7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. 8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. 9 Let the brother of low degree rejoice in that he is exalted: 10 but the rich, in that he is made low: because as the flower of the grass he shall pass away. 11 For the sun is no sooner risen with a burning heat, but it withereth the grass, and the flower thereof falleth, and the grace of the fashion of it perisheth: so also shall the rich man fade away in his ways. 12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him. 13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: 14 but every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. 16 Do not err, my beloved brethren. 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. 18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures. Listening and doing 19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: 20 for the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. 21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. 22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. 23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: 24 for he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. 25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed. 26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man’s religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
Lesson No. 658 “Be Ye Doers of the Word”
Book of James, Chapter 1 02/19/2023
1) Who is James, the author of this book, and what about this radical concept about trials? (Hint- verses 2-4) What is the ‘end result’ of a trial?
2) How do we get 'wisdom' and from whom? (Hint- verses 5 and 6)
3) Verses 6, 7, and 8 talk about a divided heart; what's the issue here?
4) James 'levels the playing field' in verses 9 through 11; is this consistent with what Jesus taught?
5) Back on temptation, James further explains the cycle of temptation and sin in verses 12 through 15; how does this end up if we succumb to temptation?
6) James goes on to talk about Christian conduct regarding truth, our speech, wrath, and salvation through the Word in verses 16 through 21. Why is it important that we always conduct ourselves as 'children of light'?
7) Question- Is anger a ‘sin’?
8) James is big on 'doing the Word', what does he say about it? (Hint- verses 22 through 25) Give some examples of 'doing the Word'.
9) What is a dead give-away to vain religion? (Hint- verse 26)
10) Then James drops the bomb- what does he say 'pure, undefiled religion' is? Is this taught and practiced in our churches? (Hint- verse 27)
11) How do we keep 'unspotted' from the world? (Hint- be in the world but not 'of' the world.)
12) I though true religion was going to church, pot-lucks, and having the youth group kids wash my car. What is James talking about in verse 27?
Recent PostsSee All
"The Effectual Fervent Prayer of a Righteous Man...." ^Click the Start arrow on the player above to listen to this Bible Study JAMES CHAPTER 5 1 Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries
"Am I an ENEMY of God?" ^Click the Start arrow on the player above to listen to this Bible Study JAMES CHAPTER 4 1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lust
"What Body Part Defiles the Whole Body?" ^Click the Start arrow on the player above to listen to this Bible Study JAMES CHAPTER 3 1 My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the