Lesson 626: Jonah CHAPTER 3
"Jonah Cries Repentance Over Nineveh"
^Click the Start arrow on the player above to listen to this Bible Study
JONAH CHAPTER 3
1 And the word of the Lord came unto Jonah the second time, saying, 2 Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and preach unto it the preaching that I bid thee. 3 So Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of the Lord. Now Nineveh was an exceeding great city of three days’ journey. 4 And Jonah began to enter into the city a day’s journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown. 5 So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them. 6 For word came unto the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and he laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes. 7 And he caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste any thing: let them not feed, nor drink water: 8 but let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands. 9 Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not? 10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.
Lesson No. 626 "Jonah Cries Repentance Over Nineveh"
Book of Jonah, Chapter 3 07/10/2022
1) What did God tell Jonah to do the second time God spoke to Jonah? Was it different than the first time God spoke to him about Nineveh? (Hint Chapter 1, verse 2 and Chapter 3, verse 2, 4)
2) What did Jonah do this time? (verse 3) How big was Nineveh?
3) What was the word that God gave Jonah for the people? Was it any different than the word God gave the Jews? How about now?
4) What happened after Jonah 'cried' God's warning? (verse 5) How rare is this in the Bible? Do you think the history of the God punishing the wicked had anything to do with their response? What did the King of Nineveh do and say? (verses 6-8)?
5) The King and the people fasted, cried mightily to God, and stopped the evil and violence that they were doing. Were they worshiping? Were they seeking forgiveness? Was this a revival or survival?
6) What did they say God would do? Were they confident that God would spare them? (Hint- verse 9)
7) So, the entire great city 'repented'- they responded as God had wanted the 'chosen people' the Jews to do many times before He punished them throughout history. What did God do as a result of their response to the prophet Jonah?
8) This all happened just before the before Assyria started attacking Israel by God’s direction. God used this wicked nation later for His purpose. Is that why God sent His prophet to Nineveh, an enemy camp of the Jews? What does this say about obeying God and His plans for us?
9) What does this say about God's heart toward even the most wicked people of the land? If so, how should we view our 'enemies' today?
10) Compare this to Genesis 6: 13- how is this the same, and how is this different? e?