Lesson 619: Daniel Chapter 8
"Did You Ever Have the Same Dream Twice?"
^Click the Start arrow on the player above to listen to this Bible Study
DANIEL CHAPTER 8
1 *During the third year of King Belshazzar’s reign, I, Daniel, saw another vision, following the one that had already appeared to me. 2 In this vision I was at the fortress of Susa, in the province of Elam, standing beside the Ulai River.* 3 As I looked up, I saw a ram with two long horns standing beside the river.* One of the horns was longer than the other, even though it had grown later than the other one. 4 The ram butted everything out of his way to the west, to the north, and to the south, and no one could stand against him or help his victims. He did as he pleased and became very great. 5 While I was watching, suddenly a male goat appeared from the west, crossing the land so swiftly that he didn’t even touch the ground. This goat, which had one very large horn between its eyes, 6 headed toward the two-horned ram that I had seen standing beside the river, rushing at him in a rage. 7 The goat charged furiously at the ram and struck him, breaking off both his horns. Now the ram was helpless, and the goat knocked him down and trampled him. No one could rescue the ram from the goat’s power. 8 The goat became very powerful. But at the height of his power, his large horn was broken off. In the large horn’s place grew four prominent horns pointing in the four directions of the earth. 9 Then from one of the prominent horns came a small horn whose power grew very great. It extended toward the south and the east and toward the glorious land of Israel. 10 Its power reached to the heavens, where it attacked the heavenly army, throwing some of the heavenly beings and some of the stars to the ground and trampling them. 11 It even challenged the Commander of heaven’s army by canceling the daily sacrifices offered to him and by destroying his Temple. 12 The army of heaven was restrained from responding to this rebellion. So the daily sacrifice was halted, and truth was overthrown. The horn succeeded in everything it did.* 13 Then I heard two holy ones talking to each other. One of them asked, “How long will the events of this vision last? How long will the rebellion that causes desecration stop the daily sacrifices? How long will the Temple and heaven’s army be trampled on?” 14 The other replied, “It will take 2,300 evenings and mornings; then the Temple will be made right again.” Gabriel Explains the Vision 15 As I, Daniel, was trying to understand the meaning of this vision, someone who looked like a man stood in front of me. 16 And I heard a human voice calling out from the Ulai River, “Gabriel, tell this man the meaning of his vision.” 17 As Gabriel approached the place where I was standing, I became so terrified that I fell with my face to the ground. “Son of man,” he said, “you must understand that the events you have seen in your vision relate to the time of the end.” 18 While he was speaking, I fainted and lay there with my face to the ground. But Gabriel roused me with a touch and helped me to my feet. 19 Then he said, “I am here to tell you what will happen later in the time of wrath. What you have seen pertains to the very end of time. 20 The two-horned ram represents the kings of Media and Persia. 21 The shaggy male goat represents the king of Greece,* and the large horn between his eyes represents the first king of the Greek Empire. 22 The four prominent horns that replaced the one large horn show that the Greek Empire will break into four kingdoms, but none as great as the first. 23 “At the end of their rule, when their sin is at its height, a fierce king, a master of intrigue, will rise to power. 24 He will become very strong, but not by his own power. He will cause a shocking amount of destruction and succeed in everything he does. He will destroy powerful leaders and devastate the holy people. 25 He will be a master of deception and will become arrogant; he will destroy many without warning. He will even take on the Prince of princes in battle, but he will be broken, though not by human power. 26 “This vision about the 2,300 evenings and mornings* is true. But none of these things will happen for a long time, so keep this vision a secret.” 27 Then I, Daniel, was overcome and lay sick for several days. Afterward I got up and performed my duties for the king, but I was greatly troubled by the vision and could not understand it.
Lesson No. 619 "Did You Ever Have the Same Dream Twice?"
Book of Daniel, Chapter 8 05/22/2022
1) When did Daniel have this dream? Why is the timing important?
2) In verse 3 there was a ram (Persia), with two horns (kings of Media and Persia), with one bigger than the other. What does that mean?
3) The ram was pushing out its territory (verse 4) and then a goat came from the west (what country?) and defeated the ram. What does this mean? (Hint- verse 5-8)
4) Then the four horns grew out of the goat, then one- sound familiar? What does this mean? (Hint- rise of Rome and desecration of the Jewish temple, verse 10 for 2,300 days (6.3 years), verse 13-14.
5) Notice the 'Saints' talking to one another- who are these guys?
6) Then the dream focuses on the interpretation- again, how does Daniel get the interpretation? (Hint- verse 17)
7) What does Daniel do when he encounters the dream interpreter Gabriel? Why does Daniel faint and fall into deep sleep? (v- 18)
8) Then Gabriel tells the meaning (verses 20-22), and goes on to talk about the 'latter time' king who shall destroy the mighty and holy people (verse 24). What does this mean will happen to Christians?
9) Verse 25 tells about what 'up coming' events? Is this like the dream from two years ago?
10) Why is God telling Daniel the dream a second time? Anything different about the second dream?
11) Why was Daniel sick afterward and why didn't he understand, at least the second half of the dream? What does this mean to us?
12) Now, we know what is coming, so what is our focus as servants of the Most High God? What are we to be about? How about each of us personally? What should we be working on?
Recent PostsSee All
"The Effectual Fervent Prayer of a Righteous Man...." ^Click the Start arrow on the player above to listen to this Bible Study JAMES CHAPTER 5 1 Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries
"Am I an ENEMY of God?" ^Click the Start arrow on the player above to listen to this Bible Study JAMES CHAPTER 4 1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lust
"What Body Part Defiles the Whole Body?" ^Click the Start arrow on the player above to listen to this Bible Study JAMES CHAPTER 3 1 My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the