Lesson 652: HEBREWS CHAPTER 8
"He is Merciful and Forgets Our Iniquities"
^Click the Start arrow on the player above to listen to this Bible Study
HEBREWS CHAPTER 8
1 Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens; 2 a minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man. 3 For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer. 4 For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law: 5 who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount. 6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. 7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. 8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: 9 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. 10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: 11 and they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. 12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. 13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.
Lesson No. 652 "He is Merciful and Forgets Our Iniquities"
Book of Hebrews, Chapter 8 01/08/2023
1) Chapter 8 starts off by describing our High Priest, Jesus (verses 1-3)- name five descriptions or responsibilities of Christ.
2) What do you think this 'somewhat also' is that our High Priest Jesus has to offer? (Hint- verse 3)
3) Paul then shows that the first covenant ministered by Moses had heavenly direction but was not from heaven and run by man. See verse 5.
4) So why the need for a new covenant? What happened? (Hint- verses 5 through 13) Why do we need a new High Priest and NOT in the order of Aaron? Further, our High Priest Jesus to be our 'mediator'? (verse 6)
5) When did this 'new covenant' spoken of in verse 8 come to pass?
6) Verse 9 says God lead His people out the land of Egypt by the hand, but that they continued NOT in His covenant. Why? What did the people do, and what did God do?
7) So after the chosen people crossed over the Jordan River, how did God intend to have the people live 'within' His covenant? (Hint- verse 10)
8) What does verse 11 mean??? I though God wanted us to share the good news and make disciples of all men?
9) If we live within this new covenant, how will God deal or treat us? (Hint- verse 12)
10) What does this 'covenant' remind you of?